The Health Benefits of Sport
The practice of sporting activity is sometimes perceived as a whim driven by a simple aesthetic purpose: that of improving the physical appearance, sculpting the silhouette and losing any bacon and extra pounds. However, it should not be forgotten that the usefulness of sport is above all another: that linked to health.
Body movement and – even better – the practice of constant training are considered a real preventive therapy by the WHO, the World Health Organization; It is now well established that sport plays a leading role in combating the onset of various types of diseases, such as cardiovascular problems, diabetes, obesity and even cancer.
What are the possible benefits of practicing a sport regularly? Let’s see them together specifically.
The Main Health Benefits of Sport
The regular practice of a sport activity ensures numerous improvements and benefits towards our physical health. The main benefits concern:
- Cardio-vascular system: practicing sports the heart becomes stronger, heart rate and blood pressure are reduced with a consequent decrease in the work of the heart; regular training also allows for better venous return and reduces the risk of heart attack;
- Immune system: thanks to sport it improves the efficiency of our natural defense system, which allows the body to better fight viruses and other harmful agents;
- Muscles, bones and joints: sport improves tissue oxygenation, strengthens joints and strengthens muscles and bones; it also allows to enhance the functionality and structure of tendons and ligaments;
- Hormonal metabolism: with the practice of sport, the activity of aerobic enzymes of the skeletal muscle increases, the level of estrogen and androgen hormones in the blood is reduced (which, for example, affect cancer of the uterus, breast and prostate);
- Diabetes: sport allows you to regulate insulin levels in the blood thus helping to counter the onset of diabetes (high blood sugar, if not diagnosed, can damage the kidneys, brain and arteries);
- Body weight: physical exercises allow you to burn more fat, increase the mobilization of triglycerides and fatty acids from adipose deposits leading to weight loss.
The regular practice of a sporting activity also has important advantages not only physical, but also towards our psychic sphere. Sport is a formidable cure-all against anxiety, psychological discomfort and stress because it increases the release of endorphins, the hormones of good mood.
The health benefits of sport are possible after a short period of regular physical activity; the important thing is that the practice is carried out with constancy and regularity and not only occasionally.
How Often to Play Sports?
As for the frequency with which to play sports, there is no precise rule, but a certain frequency within the week is necessary.
According to the Center for Diseases Control in Atlanta, a medical center that deals with prevention, moderate physical activity (such as walking) should be practiced for at least 30 minutes a day, for at least five days a week, and for at least 20 minutes for at least three days a week strenuous physical activity, such as running, swimming, or the gym.
However, everything must be set up at your own pace and gradually: you can start simply by preferring the stairs to the elevator, taking the dog out more often or getting off the bus one stop earlier and walking a bit. Normal daily activities may very well be a pretext for getting some exercise.